Which New Jersey Schools Have Barber Training Programs?
Find schools in New Jersey offering barber programs and courses. Learn about program requirements and get tuition and admissions information for aspiring barbers living in New Jersey.
As a barber student in New Jersey, you can expect to find programs covering such topics as hair cutting and coloring techniques, hair styling and skin care along with business-related topics to help you in your career.
What You Should Know
In New Jersey, most barber training programs are offered by less-than-2-year, for-profit schools. Programs span approximately 1 year and teach you skills to pass your barber licensing exam and get started in the profession. Most programs are hands-on and also include management skills. Keep reading to explore the schools and locations.
Barber Programs in New Jersey
Empire Beauty School
With four locations scattered around New Jersey, the Empire Beauty School will prepare you to sit for your licensing examination. While enrolled, you'll learn the latest styling, cutting and coloring techniques in addition to the business side of the beauty industry. Your instructors will also teach you about managing your own salon, nail care and skin care.
- Program Name: Cosmetology Program
- Program Length: About a year, full-time (600 contact hours)
- Tuition and Fees: $7,500 for program (cost for 2018-2019)
- School Type: Less than two years, private, for-profit; roughly 113 undergraduate students
Atlantic Beauty and Spa Academy, LLC
Located in the suburb of Pleasantville, the Shore Beauty School's barber program is part of its cosmetology program. After graduating from Shore Beauty School, you'll be ready to work as either a barber or cosmetologist. The school also operates as a full-service salon, so you'll have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience. Atlantic City is located seven miles from the school, so there's a chance that after you graduate you can become employed at one of the many resorts and casinos in the city.
- Program Name: Barbering Program
- Program Length: Less than a year, full-time (1,000 contact hours)
- Tuition and Fees: $14,200 for program (cost for 2018-2019)
- School Type: Less than two years, private for-profit; approximately 115 undergraduate students
Roman Academy of Beauty Culture
Located in the suburb of Hawthorne, the Roman Academy of Beauty Culture will instruct you to connect with customers and clients as you cut, style and color their hair. After completing the cosmetology and hairstyling program, you'll be prepared to take your state licensing exam. The coursework will cover state laws, regulations and rules, haircutting, permanent waxing, chemistry related cosmetology, scalp treatments and chemical relaxing. The academy will also assist you with job placement after you graduate. In addition to a school, the academy is also a salon, so there is the possibility of gaining hands-on training to supplement your education.
- Program Name: Cosmetology and Hairstyling
- Program Length: One year, full-time (500 contact hours)
- Tuition and Fees: $4,250 for program (cost for 2018-2019)
- School Type: Less that two years, private for-profit; about 50 undergraduate students
Three schools offer barber training programs in New Jersey - Empire Beauty School which has four locations in the state, Atlantic Beauty and Spa Academy and Roman Academy of Beauty Culture.