Where Can I Find LPN Programs in New York City?
Find schools in New York City offering LPN courses and programs. Prospective nurses can learn about program requirements, along with common curricula and tuition rates.
If you are looking for an LPN program in the New York City area, there are many options available to you. Take a look at the four schools below to get details.
What You Need to Know
You can find licensed practical nurse (LPN) preparation programs at mostly 2-year, public colleges in the New York City area. The program options may take from 10 months to nearly 2 years of study to earn a certificate. The course work in these programs can prepare you to pursue licensure as a practical nurse in the state. Continue reading to find out more about the LPN programs available in New York City.
Schools Offering LPN Programs in the New York City Area
CUNY Bronx Community College
The LPN program at CUNY Bronx Community College offers evening and weekend courses, with some offered through distance learning. You will complete courses in mental health concepts, practical nursing arts, pediatric nursing and medical surgical nursing, among other topics. Should you decide to pursue a registered nurse (RN) degree, 22 credits from the LPN program can be transferred to the RN program. This program prepares you to take the NCLEX-PN.
- Program Name: Licensed Practical Nursing Certificate
- Program Length: 3 semesters, plus a summer session, full-time (56 credits)
- Tuition and Fees: $5,206 for in-state students; $8,086 for out-of-state students per year (2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: Courses in composition, communication, anatomy and physiology, psychology
- Admission Requirements: ACT reading and writing assessment test and the COMPASS arithmetic and algebra test; National League of Nursing (NLN) practical nursing pre-entrance exam; documentation of immigration or residency status; Basic Cardiac Life Support certification; malpractice insurance; proof of current immunizations, physical examination, drug screening and criminal background check
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 10,500 students (all undergraduate)
CUNY Hostos Community College
The licensed practical nursing program at CUNY Hostos Community College prepares you for a career as an LPN within a year. Your curriculum combines lectures with lab courses and clinical education. You also complete some general education courses. CUNY Hostos offers an LPN to RN associate degree transition program for licensed practical nurses interested in becoming RNs.
- Program Name: Licensed Practical Nursing Certificate
- Program Length: 3 semesters, full-time (45.5 credits)
- Tuition and Fees: $5,208 for in-state students; $8,088 for out-of-state students per year (2018-2019)
- Admission Requirements: Reading, writing and math assessment test; NLN pre-nursing examination; proof of US citizenship and residency; criminal background check; American Heart Association Basic Cardiac Life Support course, infection control and child abuse courses; proof of health examination with drug screening and liability insurance
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 7,300 students (all undergraduate)
CUNY LaGuardia Community College
The practical nursing program at CUNY LaGuardia Community Colleges prepares you to take the NCLEX-PN and obtain license to practice as an LPN. When you start the program, you begin in the pre-clinical phase and must meet all requirements of this competitive-admission program. In addition to didactic studies, you complete clinical rotations in area medical facilities. The clinical portion of the program is two 6-week semesters and two 12-week semesters. Once the clinical phase is completed, you can take a bridge course that advances you into the second year of the RN program.
- Program Name: Practical Nursing Certificate
- Program Length: 12 months, full-time (48 credits)
- Tuition and Fees: $5,218 for in-state students; $8,098 for out-of-state students per year (2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: Courses in English, human anatomy and physiology I and II, general and developmental psychology and mathematics of medical dosages
- Admission Requirements: New student seminar; proof of residency; Basic Cardiac Life Support certification; proof of liability insurance, physical examination, criminal background check
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 19,300 students (all undergraduate)
Southern Westchester BOCES
As a student in the program, you prepare to take the New York licensure exam. The 1080-hour program is 70% didactic studies (lecture and lab) and 30% clinical education. The courses are broken up into units, including nursing fundamentals, body function and structure and medication calculation/pharmacology.
- Program Name: Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse Training
- Program Length: 10 months (accelerated) or 20 months (evening classes); 1,088 contact hours
- Tuition and Fees:$14,200 per year (2018-2019)
- Admission Requirements: Two references; two forms of identification; transcripts, copy of social security card; practical nursing entrance test; interview; physical examination, criminal background check
- School Type: Less than 2-year, public; about 100 students (all undergraduate)
If you would like to attain your LPN certificate in the New York City area, CUNY Bronx Community College, CUNY Hostos, CUNY LaGuardia, and Southern Westchester BOCES all offer LPN programs ranging from less than a year to two years to complete.