Where in New York City Can I Take Classes for a Career in Welding?
Learn about welding classes in New York City. Get information about available classes and programs and requirements to make an informed decision about your education.
The New York City area offers several training options for prospective welders. The 2-year and 4-year schools below highlight the different welding specialties available, along with program lengths and tuition costs.
What You Need to Know
You could get your welding training from courses and programs at area colleges. Some take only 24 hours of study, while others take four months or so to complete. Topics usually include gas metal arc welding, TIG welding and other welding styles.
Welding Courses in New York City
CUNY Hostos Community College
This program is designed to prepare you to complete home improvement projects that involve welding. In it, you learn about Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations for handling welding equipment, working with specific types of gases and working in a welding shop. The program is delivered through both lectures and hands-on experiences.
- Program Name: Basics of Metal Inert Gas Welding Application
- Program Length: Three days, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $5,208 per year for in-state students, $8,088 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- School Type: 2-year, public; over 7,300 undergraduate students
CUNY Lehman College
In the metal fabrication and metal inert gas welding course you learn the techniques and principles of metal inert gas welding, as well as about soldering and brazing. The advanced techniques and welding course is a hands-on course that focuses on tungsten inert gas welding, but which also includes some lessons about the techniques and theory of shielded metal arc welding. In this course, you design and complete welding projects.
- Program Name: Welding Courses
- Field of Study Options: Metal inert gas welding and metal fabrication and welding and other advanced techniques
- Program Length: 24 hours, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $7,210 per year for in-state students, and $14,880 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, public; about 12,500 undergraduate and 2,000 graduate students
CUNY New York City College of Technology
This program is offered by the College of Technology's Continuing Studies Center. In the program, you learn about electric arc welding using carbon arcs and metal electrodes. The center also offers an advanced course in electric arc welding and a TIG welding course.
- Program Name: Basic Electric Arc Welding
- Program Length: 84 hours, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $7,120 per year for in-state students, $14,790 per year for out-of-students (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, public; over 17,000 undergraduate students
Welding Program near New York City
Suffolk County Community College
This program is offered through the college's Corporate Training Center. It requires 136 credit hours of study. During the program, you learn about shielded metal arc welding, gas metal arc welding and gas tungsten arc welding.
- Program Name: Welding
- Program Length: Four months, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $5,792 per year for in-state students, $11,012 for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- School Type: 2-year, public; over 26,000 undergraduate students
In summary, various welding programs are available in New York City, ranging anywhere between three days to four months in duration.