Which Schools in White Plains, NY Offer Sonography Degrees?
Find schools in the White Plains, NY, area offering sonography degree programs. Learn about your schools and program options, and get current tuition info sonography programs in the White Plains area.
The White Plains, NY, area is home to several schools that offer certificate and associate's degree programs for students wishing to study sonography. Read about the programs offered at three 2-year schools near White Plains.
What You Need to Know
Around the White Plains, NY, region, you can find less-than-2-year and 2-year schools offering sonography programs, including both public and private schools. Short-term certificates as well as degrees are available. A certificate program could prepare you to work as a sonographer, and you'll spend between 15 months and two years taking classes. These programs may be offered during the day or in the evening, and they're sometimes available from hospitals or technology training centers.
Associate's degree programs are also options, and you could complete this program in two years. The coursework in an associate's degree program includes general education requirements, and your clinical training may be scheduled at local medical facilities.
Schools Offering Sonography Certificate Programs in the White Plains Area
New York Methodist Hospital Center for Allied Health Education
A sonographer/ultrasound technologist program is offered at New York Methodist Hospital Center through its School of Diagnostic Medical Sonography. In addition to completing clinical education, you'll take courses in echocardiography, physics and instrumentation, medical ethics, abdominal sonography and medical terminology. Up to 60 credits may be transferred should you choose to pursue a bachelor's degree through one of the college's affiliate schools.
- Program Name: Sonographer/Ultrasound Technologist Certificate of Completion
- Program Length: 2 years, full time
- Tuition and Fees: $52,075 per academic year (for 2018-2019)
- Admission Requirements: Must take a program entrance exam, undergo an interview with an admissions committee, provide 2 letters of recommendation, complete a criminal background check and drug screening
- School Type: 2-year, private not-for-profit; about 470 students (all undergraduates)
Western Suffolk BOCES
The diagnostic medical sonography program at Western Suffolk BOCES includes course topics in ultrasound physics, sonographic procedures, imaging modalities, breast ultrasound and medical ethics. You'll obtain hands-on training through 7 clinical rotations held at various medical sites. You'll learn areas of sonography such as breast ultrasound, obstetrics/gynecology, abdominal, adult cardiac and vascular sonography. Upon completion of the program, you might be eligible to sit for the ARDMS certification exams.
- Program Name: Diagnostic Medical Sonography Certificate Program
- Program Length: 2 years (2800 contact hours)
- Tuition and Fees: $43,050 for the program (for 2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: Prior courses in anatomy and physiology, algebra or statistics, general physics and English
- Admission Requirements: Must pass the pre-entrance examination, provide 3 references and complete a personal interview
- School Type: 2-year, public; over 300 students (all undergraduates)
Schools Offering Sonography Associate Degree Programs in the White Plains Area
Bergen Community College in New Jersey
Bergen Community College's main campus is located approximately 30 miles from White Plains, NY, in the state of New Jersey. The college's School of Health Professions offers a diagnostic medical sonography associate degree program. Classes include patient care, cross-sectional anatomy, obstetric sonography and vascular imaging. Not all classes are held on the main campus, and you may need to travel to locations elsewhere in New Jersey to complete the clinical portion of the program.
- Program Name: Associate of Applied Science in Health Professions
- Area of Study: Diagnostic medical sonography
- Program Length: About 24 months, full time (69 credits)
- Tuition and Fees: $4,500 per year for in-district residents; $8,154 per year for in-state residents; $8,526 per year for out-of-state residents (for 2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: Prior coursework in biology, physics and algebra
- Admission Requirements: Must take nursing/health professions standardized admissions examination; must have American Heart Association CPR for Healthcare Provider with AED or American Red Cross Professional Rescuer certification; proof of personal medical health insurance, professional liability insurance, physical examination with TB test and criminal background check
- School Type: 2-year, public; over 13,300 students (all undergraduates)
Students can earn a certificate in sonography from a couple of public and private schools in the White Plains, NY, area, or they can pursue an Associate of Applied Science in Health Professions (with a specialization of diagnostic medical sonography) from Bergen Community College in New Jersey.