Fashion Photography Schools
Learn about education and training programs that can prepare you for a career in fashion photography. Find tips for choosing a school, and discover career options in the field.
Fashion photography students can learn their craft through associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs. Consider certificate programs, as well.
Should I Consider Attending Fashion Photography School?
Fashion photography might appeal to you if you're a creative and artistic person with a talent for harnessing the power of visual images or if you have a strong desire to cultivate that talent. You also should have a passion for fashion and be able to keep up with the latest styles and trends. Fashion photography is a highly competitive field, so you'll probably need to exercise persistence and dedication to achieve success.
What Educational Options Are Available?
Photography can be studied at the associate's, bachelor's and master's levels, as well as through certificate and diploma programs. One of the most important considerations when choosing a school is whether it offers a major in fashion photography. If it doesn't, a strong second option would be to enroll in a school that offers a photography program with a fashion photography specialization or fashion photography courses.
Which Schools Offer Certificates in Fashion Photography?
Choose from a variety of certificate programs in photography and visual and performing arts programs.
- Santa Monica College offers a Certificate of Achievement in Photography
- San Diego City College offers a Certificate of Achievement in Visual and Performing Arts with an emphasis in Photography
- Pratt Institute offers a certificate program in Fashion New Media that focuses on fashion photography
Which Schools Offer Associate's Degrees in Fashion Photography?
Associate's degrees are available in photography or an emphasis in the field. These programs include courses for those interested in entering the field of fashion.
- The Fashion Institute of Technology offers an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree program in Photography and Related Media
- Santa Monica College offers an Associate of Science (A.S.) degree program in Photography
- San Diego City College offers an associate degree program in Visual and Performing Arts with an emphasis in Photography
Which Schools Offer Bachelor's Degrees in Fashion Photography?
Choose from B.F.A. degree programs in photography or a concentration in Fashion Photography. These courses will ultimately prepare students for work in the fashion industry via 4-year programs.
- The New York Film Academy offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) degree program in Photography
- The Academy of Art University offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) degree program in Photography
- The Columbia College at Chicago offers a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree program in Photography with a concentration in Fashion Photography
Which Schools Offer Master's Degrees in Fashion Photography?
Study fashion photography at the master's level with programs like a Master of Professional Studies degree. M.A. and M.F.A. programs are also available for graduate students in photography.
- The New York Film Academy offers a Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.) degree program in Photography
- The Academy of Art University offers a Master of Arts (M.A.) and a Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.) degree program in Photography
- The School of Visual Arts offers a Master of Professional Studies (M.P.S.) degree program in Fashion Photography
What Else Should I Look for in a School?
Ideally, the program you choose will have a strong focus on studio techniques and lighting. Another necessity is a program that can provide extensive training in the use of computer software to edit your photographs. This includes cropping and retouching your shots. A program offering an internship is also desirable; not only can an internship help you gain valuable experience, it might help you make contacts in the industry before graduation. You also might want to ask what photography equipment is available to students. Ideally, it will represent the latest technology and be in good condition.
What Can I Expect After Graduation?
As a successful fashion photographer, you might travel to photo shoots in exotic locations and work with models and fashion designers. Your work might be displayed in high-profile magazines and advertisements.
However, it's not all fun and games. You might have just a few photo shoots per month, while the rest of your time is spent editing pictures, communicating with clients and marketing yourself. Because fashion photography is a highly competitive field, you might spend a lot of time seeking out new clients and making sure you keep in touch with previous ones.
Fashion photography can be studied through specific degree programs, or you might consider studying fashion courses through a photography degree.